About Samurai Gakuen
Samurai Gakuen Schola Imagine (a.k.a. Samugaku) was established as a “school for all those who seek to learn and encounter a new self” and accepts students of all ages. The school provides comprehensive self-independence support for young people who have difficulty living in society, and for children who need support in society so that they can lead a fulfilling life in their own way.
Our goal is not to “teach and nurture” through a standardized curriculum but to “co-educate” through self-discovery where staff and students grow together.
The main goal of Samugaku is to help students acquire basic life skills through a variety of experiences.
With three schools in Ueda (Nagano), Tokyo, and Okinawa, Samugaku is engaged in activities to support the independence of youth and children in response to their needs.
Samugaku runs a variety of programs, both full-time for the students at our school as well as part-time outreach programs. Our main targets are hikikomori, which we define as those who haven’t participated in society (for example going outside, going to school or work, speaking to others) for at least 6 months, and we have helped those who have been hikikomori for as long as 15 years.
The full-time program has three stages:
- Stage 1: Help get students into a regular routine of getting up in the morning, eating three meals a day and sleeping at night, etc.
- Stage 2: Increase socialization and interaction with others, as well as give students work experience in various areas.
- Stage 3: Assist the student in finding a regular job, apartment, and reintegrate them back into society.
For the part-time programs, we offer regular skills training classes, counseling, and job matching to dropouts, those without jobs or those who wish to work full-time instead of part-time, families of hikikomori, and local business owners.
Greetings from the Director
Our philosophy of “co-education” to nurture basic life skills together
We live together with the students at this school, not from the standpoint of “teaching and nurturing” but from the standpoint of “nurturing together” as human beings living in the same society. Our school started from scratch, but in April 2012, we became the 246th NPO certified out of 50,000 NPOs in Japan. We are determined to further develop our activities while feeling the weight of this certification.
We will continue to develop our activities. Through various experiences, students who have encountered new selves through “awareness” will participate in society and become “independent” after graduation. The 100% employment rate after graduation proves the essence of this activity.
Supporting young people is not only a direct way to help them create a better tomorrow, but it is also an indirect way to help this society. In other words, youth support is an “investment” in society.
Whether you are a prospective student or a member of the school, we hope that you will support us.
Samurai Gakuen Schola Imagine
Director Hidetaka Nagaoka
- 学級通信「サムライフ」vol,2910One of the goals of our school is to grow together. Our school is for shut-ins/Hikikomori, NEETs and dropouts. … 続きを読む
- 学級通信「サムライフ」vol.2892*****My personal note: I want to help and work with people. I believe you also want to help people. I believe … 続きを読む
- 学級通信「サムライフ」vol.2882今日は詩的な話をしよう。若い大人は大人に見える。しかし、心はまだ赤ん坊のようだ。社会で働きたい、社会で活躍したい。しかし、その決断は感情によってコロコロ変わる。そんなとき、親でさえ、わが子にどう声をかけたらいいのか、わか … 続きを読む